Thursday, January 8, 2009

(Almost) Full Disclosure

This will be as honest and realistic a view of my facts and figures as I can bear to print at this time.

I'll start with the easy and not-so-embarrassing stuff...
I am 34 years old.
I am almost 5'7" tall.
I have 3 children: First Born Son is 5 years old. Peanut is 2.5 years old and potty training. And McQueen (so named because his older brother really wanted to name him Lightening McQueen) is almost 11 months old.
I have been married 8 years to High School Sweetheart. Dated 8.5 years before 1 year engagement, so we have been together a total of 18 years.

This experience is a little like getting into a swimming pool with cold water. Stepping in up to your hips is not so bad. Then the water hits your belly, and even with enough blubber to weather a winter in the North Atlantic, you catch your breath and think "do I keep going, or get out now?"

I'll go in a little deeper...

I joined Weight Watchers online in May 2008 when McQueen was 3 months old. I'm pretty sure that day was my heaviest non-pregnant day. I'm not ready to write that number down. But BMI was 34, that qualifies for that horrible word---obese.

Reactivated my gym membership on September 1, 2008. I had been doing WW sporadically since May but not exercising at all. Decided to take 1 month to recommit my mind and schedule to making exercise a priority.

Signed-up with a personal trainer at the gym on October 1, 2008. Sign here, here, and here...need your credit card, thank you...our first exercise will be one in humility, now please step on the scale and we will also calculate your body fat percentage. Ugh. Weight was 10 pounds less than when I joined WW in May, body fat percentage was 41%.

Between October 1, 2008 and January 7, 2009, I have had 18 sessions with the trainer. I am down almost 15 pounds and we will calculate body fat % again next week. BMI is now 31, almost out of the obese (I physically shudder to type that word) category.

But my clothes feel like more than 15 pounds gone. I was wearing a snug 18W, fitting like a glove in that size ain't pretty. I am now comfortably fitting into most of my size 16 pants. My go-to shirts were 1X or XL, or a cami under a button down shirt left open, because I was bustin' out of it buttoned. And not sexy, cleavage bustin', I mean tummy roll bustin'. I'm pulling "new" stuff out of my closet every couple of days. Probably my proudest clothing victory is a pair of workout pants that I bought on clearance about 2 years ago. They didn't fit from day 1, I mean wouldn't-go-over-the hips, not just tight. Now I have to use the drawstring to keep them up.

Ok, so I waded in a little deeper and the cold water was even more shocking as it creeped up. Now I have to decide, do I get out or just dive in. Getting out would mean deleting this post and keeping this private info in my head. Diving in would mean posting this....Here goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment